I recently learned I have a lot of new and soon to be for the first time moms who read this blog. Maybe you can learn from my fumbles and rants! I thought I was pretty prepared for childbirth and taking care of a new baby, but I didn't even think about taking care of myself! I wish someone had told me, but that might have sent me into a panic. However, if you're like me, you'll want to be prepared for the worst. So, read at your own risk...
- Super Thick Pads In the beginning, the thicker, the better. Eventually, you'll work your way down to pantyliners. I needed them for about 3 weeks, but a friend of mine needed them for about 6 weeks. Everyone is different.
- Lidocaine Spray I don't think I need to tell you where to spray this. It will come naturally! I used it before and after peeing.
- Tuck's Pads I was lucky enough not to suffer from painful hemorrhoids, but I found another use for them. The witch hazel has a soothing effect.
- Mesh Underwear You can "borrow" these from the hospital (though I doubt they'll want them back). They're stretchy and you can just throw them away when you're done.
- Squirt Bottle You can also "borrow" this from the hospital. It makes it a lot easier to wash in the shower. I also kept one by the toilet and filled it with warm water to rinse myself.
UPDATE: Sara recommends the book The Girlfriends Guide to Surviving the First Year and Jennifer reminded me (how could I forget) to take your stool softeners! If you had to choose one thing to take from this blog, it would be that. Unless you'd like to give birth twice.
3 comments:
every new mom should also read
The Girlfriends Guide to Surviving the First Year.
It's everything you wanted to know about delivery and recovery, the stuff they don't tell you in the classes...
I didn't read that, but I should have! When I got home, I was furiously researching things to make sure I was normal!
They told us about this necessary but scary list of things we needed in our childbirth prep class. I would also add stool softeners. Boy, aren't we women lucky :). It is crazy just how long it takes you to go to the bathroom after you give birth. At least that stage only lasts a few weeks. I remember Sara telling me after she had Jack she was prepared for everything up through the birth but not what came after.
Post a Comment