Friday, December 25, 2009
To pacify or not to pacify?
Usually, Audrey is a very good baby. Lately, though, she's had crying fits where we know she's not hungry, she's not wet, and she shouldn't be gassy, but there's nothing we can do to soothe her. Tonight, we resorted to trying out a pacifier, which I swore I wouldn't do (but registered for pacifiers just in case). It quieted her down, and she was asleep within 30 minutes. I've read it can interfere with breastfeeding (but also that it has no affect). I've heard not to introduce it for at least a month (but our pediatrician and lactation consultant both asked if she was using it). I don't want her getting attached to the pacifier, but it definitely seemed to satisfy her need to suck.
Any thoughts on introducing pacifiers?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
you do what you need to do, Ivy.
if it solves the issue, then use one...
Jack used one, and it didn't interfere with nursing, or bottle feedings.
Molly never took to them...
I do know that it does when you are getting them to sleep, because it can take the place of a "feeding" when they don't necessarily "need" to eat..
Salvatore had one for 6 months and it never interfered with his nursing. He enjoyed it for car rides and late in the evening and we decided to wean him from it at 6 months, and it was never a problem. Plus, I think teeny babies look cute with them!
Post a Comment