Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Dermatitis

She's only 5 weeks, yet she has the complexion of a teenager. Audrey has dermatitis. I thought it was baby acne, but I got worried when it seemed to spread to her earlobes, eyelids, neck, and scalp. I panicked (of course) and made a same-day appointment (thank goodness there was one available, or I would have driven myself crazy). The doctor said she has very sensitive skin, and there's nothing that we did. We now have to wash her with Cetaphil (as opposed to Baby Aveeno) and use Aquaphor on her chapped little bum. Maybe that's why she's been screaming her head off so much lately. I thought maybe she was allergic to sleep and her car seat.

Whoever coined the phrase "sleep like a baby" obviously didn't have kids. I take back what I said about her being a good sleeper. Long story short: neither of us have been getting much sleep. Audrey is waking up every 60-90 minutes and it takes at least another 40 to get her back to sleep. Since John is back at work this week, that means Mommy is on night-duty solo. If anyone is awake at odd hours of the night (or should I say early morning), I'm probably up. Feel free to text me or make your move in Words with Friends (name: theowlette).

If you're wondering what to get someone for a babyshower, here are my lifesavers: an exercise ball (but not to exercise) and Boppy pillow (but not for sleeping). If I had a nickel for each bounce I've taken on that ball with Audrey, I could hire a nanny so I could get some sleep.

2 comments:

The Liconas said...

Welcome to all the little hurdles and issues of motherhood! I remember vividly that 90% of them work themselves out within two weeks, but another is right around the corner!!

Sara said...

yep....just when you think..."this is easy"...they decide to mix it up.

this little adjustment typically happens right before returning back to work, too, which makes things even more exhausting.

eventually though, they all work out.
although, molly is 2 and still wakes up once a night. go figure.

the skin thing will take care of itself soon, my dr. told me little girls get it worse because of the hormones...